Tuesday, December 16, 2014

so what do you do?

A cousin of mine posted this link yesterday - "A Better Way to Introduce Your Friends" from Storyline. I really liked it. It got me thinking. I don't believe I've ever introduced anyone as "Sam the Banker" or anything, but in the drowning discomfort of small talk, the "So, what do you do?" question is one of the first on deck. And honestly, I don't even really care. Maybe some people do. But I usually don't hang out with those people. For me, it's just something to say. Conversational protocol. But I love the point made here, that even inadvertently reducing folks to their job title can be a little disheartening.

I feel really blessed because I have this group of BAMF friends (and friends-in-law) with myriad impressive careers, but honestly, I basically have no f*cking clue what they do. I don't know. Maybe this stems from the fact that I met most of them in college when we were degenerates and couldn't get our asses out of bed before 2pm on the weekends to make the pancake breakfast at the dining hall. I didn't meet them at a corporate mixer, I met them peeing in a thorny rosebush, or passed out in a bathtub. Or maybe I'm just a bad friend. But for whatever reason, we just don't talk about it. I have one friend who does some sort of fancy finance thingy. I think I've asked her to explain it at least five times but I still haven't the slightest idea what it is she actually does. However, I could wax poetic on her party planning skills and singular ability to create a satisfying meal solely from appetizers or things you can buy at 7/11. There's a genius yoga guru, a few lawyers, some nurses and doctors (one whose excels at pulling babies out of vaginas, one who travels to various disease- and poverty-stricken third world countries and saves lives, one who published an article about emergency-cock-ring-removal in a medical journal), some Hollywood types, a farmer, a candy flavor maker, a musician, a social worker, a therapist-in-training, a personal trainer, a teacher (who educates children somewhere between the ages of 2 and 18, on one of those school-type subjects), some bio engineers who help invent shit (maybe?).

All I know is we could open up our own commune and have all of our basic health and human services covered. Which is something I think halfway seriously about doing all the time.

What I really know is who to call when I need straight talk, a pep talk, therapy, fashion advice, costume ideas, a differential diagnosis, gossip, a running partner, a backrub, a pedicure, a lazy morning, a nap, a hike, an adventure, a last minute getaway, a surprise party, a delicious home-cooked meal, a take-out smorgasbord, late night drunchies, a place to crash, new music, someone who will get crazy with a hot glue gun, someone who can convince me to do a beer bong (no easy task), someone who's down for whatever, someone who can get shit done, someone who's happy doing absolutely nothing, someone who has known me as long as I've known myself, someone who will always, always, love me, no matter what, and always, always, love my kids (and my dog), no matter what. Isn't this all that really matters, anyway?

In case you're wondering, my special skills are family photographer and historian, and maker of oreo pops and mini cupcakes. I can also volunteer a well-stocked liquor cabinet and my husband's excellent bartending skills.

On a somewhat related note, another cousin (I have many) posted this random-ass video, and I have no idea what compelled me to watch it (Tyler Perry's Madea is not normally in my wheelhouse), but I'm glad I did (thanks F!) because it's so true! Think of the people you meet as parts of a tree - the leaves, the branches, and the roots. And thank you, THANK YOU, to my roots - you are greater, deeper and stronger than any girl deserves!


Madea - Let em' Go from Joshua Davis on Vimeo.

No comments :

Post a Comment