Thursday, November 17, 2016

Keep Calm and ... Eff That

If one more person tells me to Calm Down about the election, so help me God, I am going to aggressively visualize myself punching them in their bark box. My favorites are the ones who call me and my fellow pissed-off womenfolk "hysterical." Ah. I see. Accusing women who are voicing legitimate concerns about a President-Elect who has vowed to curtail our rights as suffering from "hysterics." How original. I keep seeing posts along the lines of, "Quit your whining and get over it already, you live in California, you'll be fine." I'm calling bullshit. Beware, I'm about to bust out numerical headings.

1) Trump supporters vowed to revolt with WITH ARMED MILITIAS if Hillary won, so you'll excuse me if I'm sorry-not-sorry about my peaceful protest.

2) You don't get to tell me or anyone else whether or not my shock/grief/horror about Donald Trump-as-President is legitimate. Pain and sadness are funny things. Personal, and subjective. Speaking from experience, as a mother whose children occasionally scream like they're being attacked by a chainsaw when I tell them they can't have lollipops, trivializing someone's pain does not make them "get over it" any faster. Just the opposite, in fact, because you're only adding insult to injury.

3) Saying "you're straight/white/upper-middle-class/and live in California, don't worry about it" is a textbook example of privilege-in-action. Or rather, privilege inaction. And just because we have the advantage of living in California, where only 33% instead of 50% (or more) of the electorate support a bigoted president, doesn't mean we should just throw our hands up and say, "Oh well, not my problem." That kind of attitude is how we got here in the first place, because the affluent educated white folk are so isolated from the people who are actually suffering, they are able to ignore the problem or forget it even exists.

4) It is further indicative of your privileged position when you call outrage at a President-elect who has vowed to violate the civil rights of several vulnerable classes of citizens, "whining."

But hey, maybe you're right. Maybe it won't personally affect me. After all, my ovaries are like two shriveled little California raisins someone left between the couch cushions circa 2012, so overturning Roe v. Wade won't affect me. Why should I worry about more unwanted children and back-alley coat hanger abortions? Out of sight, out of mind, right?

If they make my Iranian immigrant mother- and father-in law, who have lived in the United States almost 50 years, register in their Muslim database, I guess that's not actually my life. Nothin' to get my panties rumpled over there!

If they tell my brother he's not allowed to marry the man he loves: "Haha, just kidding! We're doing take-backsies on marriage equality!" that's not, technically, my problem, right? I mean, his last boyfriend was a total douche so maybe it's a good thing. So what if Trump's top domestic policy advisor believes gay sex is a transgression against God and homosexuality is a "choice" that can be changed! And, if Trump nominates some ass-backwards, vehemently anti-LGBT Supreme Court Justice (or two) (e.g. William Pryor, who was on the wrong side of the landmark gay rights case Lawrence v. Texas, in which he argued homosexuality was on a level with pedophilia and incest, and believed gay sex should be illegal), well, look at the bright side - it'll probably only take, oh, I dunno, thirty, forty years to gain back all the ground the LGBT community fought so hard to win, and lost under the Trump presidency. I mean, fifty years at the outside. Your gay great-grandchildren will be golden.

Cutting Medicare will probably affect my dad in his Golden Years, but it's cool, we have an extra bedroom and I'm a super fancy lawyer so I can totally afford a private, round-the-clock nurse and price-gauged medications, no worries. I got you, Pops!

I don't think any strange men are gonna be grabbin' my pussy anytime soon (see above re: shriveled ovaries). So I guess I shouldn't stress about the President-Elect of the United States trivializing sexual assault. (Please little baby infant Jesus let someone with a political agenda befitting the 21st century  be president before I have to worry about some creeper fondling my daughter's little lady bits and pawning it off as "locker room talk.")

In that case, I probably shouldn't stress about deepening racial divides, the increased militarization of the police, racial bias in the classrooms and the school-to-prison pipeline, the disparate impact of our justice system on black and brown boys and men, nor the certainty that these chasms will only widen under Trump, as evidenced by his assemblage of a white-supremacist dream-team in his cabinet. I mean, my kids aren't brown so, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ On second thought, they are technically "ethnic" (Muslim Iranian grandparents as noted above), but they look super white so we should be good to go. So, yeah, you're probably right. What is there to whine about? Thanks, man. I feel much better. I think I'm going to drink some wine and watch some trashy television because that seems way more fun than being a vocal ally for my fellow americans that are being persecuted under the apparent authority of the President-Elect of the United States of America. Phew. Let me tell you, that is a load off my shoulders because I am way too freakin' busy to be stressing about the basic liberty and human rights of people who are not me!
Word.
It certainly is nice to live in California though. I can't argue with that. #blessed

“In California, diversity is strength. Our students come from all kinds of backgrounds, cultures, languages, and religions, and they all come together to learn on their way to success in 21st century careers and college. California already has, and will always maintain, strong legal and state constitutional protections against any and all kinds of discrimination, regardless of a student’s race, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

“And I want to tell young women and girls that they will always be safe, be respected, and be protected at school. As the proud father of two daughters, I know that girls can achieve anything, succeed at anything they choose, and earn the respect that they deserve every day at school, in the workplace, and in our communities. California moves forward, not back.”

- State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Assures California Public School Students That They are Safe From Discrimination and Bullying

"By a margin in the millions, Californians overwhelmingly rejected politics fueled by resentment, bigotry, and misogyny.

The largest state of the union and the strongest driver of our nation’s economy has shown it has its surest conscience as well.

California is – and must always be – a refuge of justice and opportunity for people of all walks, talks, ages and aspirations – regardless of how you look, where you live, what language you speak, or who you love.

California has long set an example for other states to follow. And California will defend its people and our progress. We are not going to allow one election to reverse generations of progress at the height of our historic diversity, scientific advancement, economic output, and sense of global responsibility."

- Joint Statement from California Legislative Leaders on Result of Presidential Election

"Bigotry is bad for business." Or is it? Democrats demand that Trump rescind Bannon appointment - Politico

Sadly, even California is not immune to the particular brand of twat-wafflery fomented by Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Some stellar example of the human race was handing out fake deportation letters to Latino students at Shasta High in Redding, California. Harassment based on race and religion in California schools has increased since the election. It's super thoughtful of Trump to tell these a-holes to "Stop it" in his 60 Minutes interview Sunday, but I'm afraid you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube (or the bigots back in the basement) on that one.

1 comment :