Thursday, June 6, 2013

"Fun Mom", or, You Know You're Getting Old When...

Note to self: Do not attempt headstands and other acrobatics outside of the yoga studio and/or unless under professional supervision.

Last night I was trying to be "Fun Mom." The kids and I were having a dance party, and Jack was showing me his super fly break-dancing moves that he learned God knows where. I felt I had to rise to the occasion so I hollered out, "Hey, watch this!" (like I was ten years old, which is probably the last time I actually pulled off a successful headstand), cavalierly flung myself into a headstand, and promptly fell ass over teakettle, almost breaking my neck and knocking out two small children in the process.

I (barely) slept, slathered in Tiger Balm* and resting gingerly on a heating pad. I had to have DM direct traffic for me as I pulled out of the driveway this morning, because I can't turn my head. So much for Fun Mom!

* By the way, have you ever gotten that sh*t in your eyes? Yowsah! I thought I was going to be paralyzed AND blind!

Ps - DM says I omitted one crucial element of this story - that after I botched the first headstand, I may or may not have tried two more times, despite the throbbing shooting pain in my neck...

Joan Cusack - Sixteen Candles - <3

2 comments :

  1. Yeah.... I tried to do a cartwheel once after I turned 30... baaaaad idea. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes! i've learned my lesson! after-thirty acrobatics are ill-advised!

      Delete